The area belongs to one of the oldest settlements in the vicinity of Warsaw. The village of Milanowo belonged to the Benedictine Abbey until 1338. In 1677 the mansion in Milanowo was bought by John III Sobieski as Villa Nova (Wilanów). The territory, including the palace, was passed from the hands of the Sieniawski family, August II the Strong, the Czartoryski family, the Lubomirski family, the Potocki family and until World War II, it was in the hands of the Branicki family.
At present, around the area of the Palace, which together with the park constitutes a museum, the villa development of the so-called Stary Wilanów was built. On the Błonia of Wilanów, the award-winning Nowy Wilanów housing estate was built, distinguished by low buildings, calm colours, coherent architecture and space for social life.
The history of construction of Nowy Wilanów began with a construction company from Gdańsk, which acquired the right to perpetual usufruct of a plot of land with an area of 113 000 sqm transferred to Polnord by Prokom Investments in exchange for 850 000 shares of the Gdańsk-based company worth PLN 107.6 million.
On an area of over 50 ha, the company planned to build a Technology Park and Miasteczko Wilanów – a housing estate with a planned usable area of approx. 90 000 sqm.
Over the years, dozens of buildings have been constructed on this area, including Scandinavian House housing estates (Sjaelso), Wilanów Park Pirelli Pekao Real Estate, Śródmieście Wilanów Polnord, Kryształ Wilanowa, Royal Axis, Villa Siena, Villa Bianca, Fountain Wilanów, At Center, Warszawski Wilanów Acciony, Oaza Wilanów Atal, Polnord – Wikotria, Zora White Stone Development, Brzozowy Zakątek, Qualia Development Royal Park, or the “Robyg” developer: Ogrody Wilanów, Villa Nobile, Nowa Rezydencja Królowej Marysieńki, Królewski housing estate, Zdrowa housing estate, Młody Wilanów, Hampton Residence Wilanów housing estate, Green House Development investment.
The largest amount of greenery can be found in the enclaves of buildings at Osia Królewska, Klimczaka and the Ostoja housing estate developed by the Spanish developer, Fadesa. Currently, the last vacant plots at Al. Rzeczypospolitej are being constructed.
Apart from the housing development, the Royal Wilanów Capital SA, Wilanów Office Park, the Zielone tarasy shopping centre of Globe Trade Centre (GTC) and the CEETRUS Polska investment are planned. Schools were built at ul. Kolegiacka, Wirtnicza, Ledówchowska, Al. Rzeczypospolitej, Uprawnej. In addition, the High School Academy is a private high school , the WBS School – Polish-German Willy Brandt School of Meeting and Dialogue, and the A. Einstein Primary School.
Subsequent areas of Zawady, Kępa Zawadowska, Powsinek and Powsin are currently developing a network of streets with new estates mainly consisting of detached houses and, more recently, several housing estates.
In the multi-family developments, penthouses and flats with gardens are the most popular. For enthusiasts of consistent architecture, there are offers for sale of houses in the closed housing estates of Pałacowa, Kapriola, Sady Wilanowskie, Wille Wilanów, Villa Natura, Lawendowe Ogrody, Willanovia, Inwestycja Syta and many others.
The sale of real estate in this area is very popular among young people and families with children. The infrastructure of the housing estates is ideal for sports – numerous cycling and running paths, basketball courts. In summer, residents relax in Powsin, and in winter they enjoy cross-country skiing along the trails of the nearby meadows and forests.
The newly built connection between Wawer and the F. Chopin Airport and the planned tram line will have a positive impact on communication and access to the nearest stations of the Warsaw metro.